"Proud To Be A Part Of Liverpool History"
No Enemies Here, Just Strangers, Soon To Be Friends.
Liverpool's Historic bar offering 8 refurbished bedrooms, a beautiful function room, good food, and great live music.
Spend the night in one of Liverpool's most historic buildings. The building may be old, but the rooms are new and modern.
We have 8 refurbished rooms, all En-Suite and with free WiFi, in the heart of Liverpool City Center.
Note: The building is listed, and is so old that we are unable to accommodate those with disabilities that would prohibit them climbing stairs.
Earlybirds, for your consideration, the rooms are situated above a busy bar in Liverpool city centre. Opt for rooms 5,6,7 & 8 for a more quiet stay.
We have a beautiful function room that can be hired for any occasion; parties, gigs, classes, tournaments, workshops etc.
Contact: 0151 709 3977
We have Live Music every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
SPECIAL EVENTS COMING UP:
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE VINES
In the nineteenth century spirit drinking was causing most of the social problems in Liverpool. In an attempt to curb this, Arthur Wellesley, the Irish born 1st Duke of Wellington, wanted to encourage people to drink beer, and in 1830 passed the Beer House Act. For two guineas, any householder could obtain a licence to sell beer. 24,342 licenses were issued in Liverpool alone.
Later in 1860 William EwartGladstone, a Liverpudlian who was then Chancellor of the exchequer and would go on to be Prime Minister,
passed the Wine Licensing Act to further try to subdue the problems of drunkeness. A licensed trade that Albert B. Vines found himself in.
ANOTHER IRISH CONNECTION
The Vines was Built by Albert
B. Vines in 1867 and opened as a
Public House. It was aquired by the
Cains Brewing company and rebuilt in 1907. The Owner of the Cains Brewing Company was Irish man Robert Cain originally from Co. Cork.
Robert Cain had begun his brewing career at the age of 24, when he purchased a pub on Limekiln Lane by Scotland Road, and brewed his own ales. Within 25 years, Cain had established 200 pubs. In 1898 he commissioned the building of the Philharmonic Dining Rooms on Hope Street. He later commissioned the building of The Vines
on Lime Street in 1907. After Cain's death,
the Cains brewery merged with Peter
Walker and Co of Warrington, becoming
The 1907 rebuild was designed by Walter W Thomas, a British architect who practised in Liverpool, and who specialised in designing public houses. His most notable work is the Philharmonic Dining Rooms in Hope Street. This was built in about 1898–1900 for the aforementioned Robert Cain.
The outside clock that extends over Lime Street is by E J Dent & Co. the same company that provided the clock tower at the Houses of Parliament building that contains 'Big Ben'. The clock is designed to be set and wound from within the pub.
The Vines is designed in the Baroque style, with etched glass windows, and a folly tower. In the lounge bar there is a monumental fireplace of mahogany and beaten copper. Above the fireplace is a splendid wooden bas-relief Viking Longboat by Liverpudlian Gustave Hiller. With its polished granite and marble exterior, granite porches on Lime Street and its multi-glazed doors and mosaic floor, this was by any standards an impressive building.